Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Let's Try This Again: Live from Boston, It's Katie and Bill!




Hello, Internet (to steal Jeni's term). It has been awhile... but now that we live in Boston and are away from our family and friends, I thought that I'd try this again as a way to document our New England adventure.

Quick recap since my last posting:

  • Fall 2008--Thanks to my amazing boss, Jane, I was able to go to the Democratic National Convention for President Obama's nomination/acceptance speech. Bill was pretty busy with his med school rotations and residency application process. Otis and George maintained their cuteness/trouble-making and became stars of our local dogpark.
  • Winter 2008/2009--Bill flew around the country for his residency interviews, but I was really wanting to stay in StL. The economy soured (duh) and in a "non-performance based reduction in force" I was laid-off from my law firm. I'll be honest--that totally sucked and was a hit to my sense of self, but it made the decision to leave St. Louis a bit easier. Bill ranked Massachusetts General Hospital as his first choice for internal medicine and Duke #2. We know how that turned out...

  • Spring 2009--The long goodbye. I spent most of the spring in denial about leaving StL--I'd been there since college and had always lived in the general area. Plus, we turned 30. And I was still unemployed. Blah. My amazing friends and family were (and still are) total pillars of strength and support, and Bill was his usual self--which if you know Bill, you know that means he was nothing short of wonderful.







  • June 1, 2009--We made the move to Boston! It was a pretty long drive, but the dogs slept the entire (entire!) time in the car and my mom drove out with us to help us get settled, so the transition was suprisingly smooth. After a few days in MA, we boarded the dogs and took a vacation to Puerto Rico for our 4th(!) anniversary--the vacation was much-needed and we had a great time just being together... having warm weather and the sun was a bonus for me since Boston has been rainy/cloudy/brisk for about 85% of the time since we've been here. And "brisk" is not an adjective I think should be used during the summer.

So now we're New Englanders and I again live near Quincy--but they say it funny here, like "Quinzee". Drives me nuts! It is a really odd feeling to walk around here and not run into anyone I know--that's a first in my life. I am such a chatty person that I'm boring checkout people at the grocery store and at Target just so I can get some human interaction--it's pretty pathetic and humorous. Silly Katie. Boston itself is a pretty amazing town--lots of fun stuff to do. The 4th of July here was awesome--we hung out on the Charles, listened to the Boston Pops (and Neil Diamond!), and saw the best fireworks show I've ever seen.



















1 comment:

Unknown said...

so glad you're back internetting!!!